New Outdoor Warning System will be installed in October 2015!
Policy adopted by Venus City Council May 12, 2015:
The City of Venus Outdoor Warning System may be activated for any kind of emergency – not just severe weather.
The Venus outdoor warning system consists of 2 sirens; one at the Police Department – 103 W 3rd Street & one at the Patriot Estates addition. These sirens serve as a warning system to alert citizens, who are outdoors, of imminent emergencies. These emergencies include:
- A tornado warning issued by the National Weather Service
- The National Weather Service issues a Severe Thunderstorm Warning with the phrase “Destructive winds in excess of 70 mph are likely with this storm” for the immediate area
- Trained storm spotters have reported a tornado that is in or has the potential to affect the community
- Reported hail of 1.25” in diameter or larger – 1 inch hail may be more appropriate for areas or events where large numbers of people are outdoors
- State or national emergency declared by the governor or president
- Other emergencies as appropriate
The City of Venus conducts weekly tests of the outdoor warning system sirens every Saturday at noon. During the test, the siren will only sound for 15 seconds.
Responsible Party Hierarchy
The Chief of Police or his designee (police officer on duty) is responsible for sounding the weather siren. The weather siren will be sounded after the warning is officially issued by the National Weather Service, as outlined above. The Mayor will serve as a secondary designee to sound the weather sirens if the Chief of Police or his designee are not available.
*Note: Due to the weather conditions on both Saturday May 16 & May 23, 2015, the outdoor warning system siren test was not conducted. The system was last serviced April 7, 2015 by Griffin Electric and both sirens were found to be in working order. The siren located in the Patriot Estates area does not rotate but it does sound. The new outdoor warning system has been ordered and once installed, a notice to that effect will be posted here.