It is the responsibility and honor of the City Secretary's Office to conduct and oversee the City Council election process for the City of Venus. Elections in the City of Venus are conducted annually on the Uniform Election Day in May. The City of Venus is located in Johnson and Ellis County.
To vote in any election, including municipal elections, residents must be registered to vote in the county where they reside. In order to register to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen and 18 years of age. The voter registration application must be received in the voter registrar's office or postmarked 30 days before an election for you to be eligible to vote in that election.
Please visit www.votetexas.gov for more information.
The City of Venus is a Type-A General Law city with a Mayor-Manager form of government. The City Council consists of a Mayor and five Councilmember who are elected at-large by majority vote.
Filing requirements are per state statute, available at https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/candidates/index.shtml and those of the Election Code Section 141.001:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 18 years of age upon the commencement of the term to be filled at the election
- Have resided continuously in the State for twelve (12) months and in the City of in the district for six (6) months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for place on ballot
- Not have been convicted of a felony for which he or she has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities
- Not have been found mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Must be a registered voter
Reporting, Contributions & Expenditures
Questions regarding reporting procedures, contributions and expenditures are to be directed to the Texas Ethics Commission at (512) 463-5800 or click on the following link: https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/resources/FAQs/FAQ_COH_Legal.php
Questions regarding election law are to be directed to the Texas Secretary of State at (512) 463-5650 or 1-800-252-VOTE (8683)